New features are available in the bitemporal repo – and I am so happy about it!

I Really hope that most of my follows know something about the pg_bitemporal project, because if you didn’t hear about it, you won’t be able to share my excitement!

We started to build our bitemporal library for PostgreSQL about four years ago, it was merely a “proof of concept”, and Chad Slaughter, who initiated all this work, knowing my work habits way too well, was re-iterating again and again – do not optimize it yet!

Well, I didn’t, but then I’ve joined Braviant Holdings, and a year later I was granted a permission to use our bitemporal framework in production. Some of the performance flaws became apparent even during the test run, and I was able to fix them. Later, while we were using it in production more and more, I’ve come up with new functions, UPDATE_SELECT and CORRECT_SELECT, since we actually needed them, and since the bitemporal operations were supposed to behave the same way as regular database operations.

About three weeks ago we had a very important release, which along with addressing multiple business needs, included some significant changes on the technical side. One of the consequences was, that it significantly increased the traffic on our new planform, and as a result we started to see some timeouts.

Although these timeouts were pretty rare, we saw them as a problem. I personally pledged the system will remain scalable, and now I couldn’t just go with “bitemporal updates are slow”. Yes, the execution time was at 2 to 3 seconds most of the time, but sometimes it would spike, and our microservices have a hard timeout at 10 seconds.

Some time ago I’ve already mentioned in this blog, how thankful I am for those timeouts! Nothing else foster innovation more than a necessity to address performance problems immediately, because they have a direct impact on production.

This time around I was 99.9% sure that the periodic slowness happens during the remote query, which is a part of the problematic function. Turned out, though, that this 0.01% was the case, and together with our DB team we were able to determine, that the problematic statement was the last UPDATE in the bitemporal update function. If you’d ask me a week before that, I would say, that I am not going to address the bitemporal performance for the next several months, but I had no choice.

Thanks to Boris Novikov, who helped me immensely in testing and verifying several different approaches, and eventually identified the best one, and to Chad Slaughter, who was merging my commits from 7-30 AM to 9-30 PM, so that the master branch of the bitemporal library would have the latest updates by the time of the release, and thanks to our amazing QA team, who had to run and rerun tests that day multiple times, the new bitemporal functions are now on place. Not only for Braviant Holdings, but for the whole community.

I would also like to mention, that since I was already changing the functions, I’ve fixed one long-overdue issues: all functions have versions, which are PG 10 compliant. We’ve left the old versions there, because some of the are used in the existing production systems but if you are just starting, you can use the new ones.

Check it out at https://github.com/scalegenius/pg_bitemporal

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under news, research, SQL, Team and teamwork

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s